Antti Oulasvirta, PhD
Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik
Department 4: Graphics
Cluster of Excellence on Multimodal Computing and Interaction
Campus E1 7, Room 2.03
Get my email address via email
Short Bio: Antti Oulasvirta is a Senior Researcher at the Max Planck Institute
for Informatics and the Cluster of Excellence on Multimodal Computing and Interaction,
where he leads the Human-Computer Interaction group.
He received his doctorate in Cognitive Science from the University of Helsinki in 2006, after which he was a Fulbright Scholar at
the School of Information in UC Berkeley in 2007-2008 and a Senior Researcher at HIIT in
Finland in 2008-2011. During his postgraduate studies in 2002-2003, he was an exchange student at UC
Berkeley's Neuropsychology Lab and did an internship at T-Labs in Berlin in 2006. Dr. Oulasvirta is
an associate editor of International Journal of Human-Computer Studies and Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, and he
frequently serves in the paper committees of HCI conferences, including the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
He was awarded the Best Paper Award at CHI in 2011, the Best Paper Nomination at CHI in 2008, 2009, 2013, and 2014, the Best Note Award in 2011 at
MobileHCI, and the Most Influential Paper Award in 2013 at MobileHCI.
I am starting as an Associate Professor in Aalto University in March 2014.
Open postdoc positions in my future department. Deadline Feb 28, 2014.
- User interfaces
- Human factors
- Mobile and ubiquitous applications
Recent technological advances have vastly expanded the means for constructing user interfaces, but we still see limited progress in
overcoming the traditional interfaces like the Qwerty layout and the mouse. My mission is to identify and exploit
optima of human-computer performance. The scientific approach is based on the formulation of interface design as an optimization problem,
information theoretical measurement of sensorimotor performance, predictive modeling of
user performance, and computational search for interface designs that maximize performance. Whereas previous
work in human-computer interaction has been largely based on trial and error, this approach
allows aggressive exploration of design spaces.
The outcomes are demonstrated as novel user interfaces and variants of existing interfaces.
Please visit our group page for more information.
Complete publication list 2002-2014
- Model of visual search and selection time in linear menus
Proc. CHI'14 Best Paper Honorable Mention, (full paper)
Bailly, G., Oulasvirta, A., Brumby, D., Howes, A.
- Is motion-capture-based biomechanical simulation valid for HCI studies? Study and implications
Proc. CHI'14, (full paper)
Bachynskyi, M., Oulasvirta, A., Palmas, G., Weinkauf, T.
- Automated nonlinear regression modelign for HCI
Proc. CHI'14, (note)
- Modeling the perception of user performance
Proc. CHI'14, (full paper)
Nicosia, M., Oulasvirta, A., Kristensson, P.O.
- Modeling the functional area of the thumb on touchscreen surfaces
Proc. CHI'14, (full paper)
Bergstrom-Lehtovirta, J., Oulasvirta, A.
- Improving accuracy in back-of-device multitouch typing: A clustering-based approach to keyboard updating
Proc. IUI'14, (full paper)
Buschek, D., Schoenleben, O., Oulasvirta, A.
- Interactive Markerless Articulated Hand Motion Tracking Using RGB and Depth Data
Proc. ICCV 2013, (full paper)
Sridhar, S., Oulasvirta, A., Theobalt, C.
- MenuOptimizer: Interactive optimization of menu systems.
Proc. UIST'13, (full paper) to appear in
Bailly, G., Oulasvirta, A., Koetzing, T., Hoppe, S.
- Supporting exploratory search tasks with interactive user modelling.
Proc. ASIST'13, (full paper) to appear in
Ruotsalo, T., Athukorala, K., Glowacka, D., Konyushkova, K., Oulasvirta, A., Kaipiainen, S., Kaski, S., Jacucci, G.
- Sandwich Keyboard: Fast ten-finger typing on a mobile device with adaptive touch sensing on the back side.
Proc. MobileHCI'13, (note) to appear in
Schoenleben, O., Oulasvirta, A.
- Improving two-thumb text entry on touchscreen devices.
Proc. CHI'13, (full paper) to appear in
Oulasvirta, A., Reichel, A., Li, W., Zhang, Y., Bachynskyi, M., Vertanen, K., Kristensson, P-O. project page
- Information capacity of full-body movements.
Proc. CHI'13 Best Paper Honorable Mention, (full paper) to appear in
Oulasvirta, A., Roos, T., Modig, A., Leppanen, L.
- Multi-touch rotation gestures: Performance and ergonomics.
Proc. CHI'13, (note) to appear in
Hoggan, E., Williamson, J., Oulasvirta, A., Nacenta, M., Kristensson, P-O.
- The clash of privacy and automation in social media.
IEEE Pervasive Computing, to appear in.
Vihavainen., S., Lampinen, A., Oulasvirta, A., Silfverberg, S., Lehmuskallio, A.
- Senior Researcher, Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT: 2008-11
- SICSA Distinguished Visiting Fellow, University of Glasgow and University of St. Andrews: 2011
- Visiting Scholar, Florida State University: 2010-11
- Postdoctoral Scholar, University of California, Berkeley: 2007-8
- External Consultant, Nokia Design: 2007, 2010
- Research Intern, T-Labs Berlin: 2006
- Graduate Exchange Student, University of California, Berkeley: 2002-3
- Researcher, Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT: 2002-6
- PhD (cognitive science), University of Helsinki, 2002-2006
- MA (cognitive science), University of Helsinki, 1998-2001
- Kumaripaba Atukorala (co-supervised with Prof. Giulio Jacucci), University of Helsinki, 2012-
- Myroslav Bachynskyi, Saarland University, 2012-
- Srinath Sridhar (co-supervised with Prof. Christian Theobalt), Saarland University, 2012-
- Joanna Bergstrom-Lehtovirta (co-supervised with Prof. Samuel Kaski), Aalto University, 2011-
- Eeva Raita (co-supervised with Prof. Anna-Maija Pirttila-Backman and Prof. Niklas Ravaja), University of Helsinki, 2011-
- Airi Lampinen (co-supervised with Prof. Coye Cheshire and Prof. Anna-Maija Pirttila-Backman), University of Helsinki, 2009-2014
- Antti Salovaara (co-supervised with Prof. Kai Hakkarainen), University of Helsinki, 2006-2012