Dr. Yiting Xia
- Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik
Saarland Informatics Campus
Campus E1 4
- E1 4 - 526
- +49 681 9325 3901
- +49 681 9325 5719
- Get email via email
I am a tenure-track faculty at Max Planck Institute for Informatics (MPI-INF), where I lead the network and cloud systems research group.
Before joining MPI, I was a research scientist at Facebook. I received my PhD degree in Computer Science from Rice University in 2018. I got my Bachelor’s Degree in Telecommunications Engineering with First Class Honors from a joint program between Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT) and Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) in 2011.
For more information, please visit my personal website: https://sites.google.com/view/yitingxia
Xin Huang, Yiting Xia, T. S. Eugene Ng, Weaver: Efficient Coflow Scheduling in Heterogeneous Parallel Networks, IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing(IPDPS 2020).
Yiting Xia*,Dingming Wu, Xiaoye Steven Sun, Xin Sunny Huang, Simbarashe Dzinamarira, T. S. Eugene Ng, Masking Failures from Application Performance in Data Center Networks with Shareable Backup, 2018 ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM 2018).
Xiaoye Steven Sun, Yiting Xia, Simbarashe Dzinamarira, Xin Sunny Huang, Dingming Wu, T. S. Eugene Ng, Republic: Data Multicast Meets Hybrid Rack-Level Interconnections in Data Centers, IEEE 26th International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2018).
Yiting Xia, On Designing Convertible Data Center Network Architectures, PhD thesis, Rice University, February 2018.
Yiting Xia, Xin Sunny Huang, T. S. Eugene Ng, Stop Rerouting! Enabling ShareBackup for Failure Recovery in Data Center Networks, 16th ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (HotNets 2017).
Yiting Xia, Xiaoye Steven Sun, Simbarashe Dzinamarira, Dingming Wu, Xin Sunny Huang, T. S. Eugene Ng, A Tale of Two Topologies: Exploring Convertible Data Center Network Architectures with Flat-tree, 2017 ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM 2017).
Yiting Xia, T. S. Eugene Ng, Flat-tree: A Convertible Data Center Network Architecture from Clos to Random Graph, 15th ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (HotNets 2016).
Dingming Wu, Xiaoye Sun, Yiting Xia, Xin Huang, T. S. Eugene Ng, HyperOptics: A High Throughput and Low Latency Multicast Architecture for Datacenters, 8th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud 2016).
Yiting Xia, T. S. Eugene Ng, Xiaoye Steven Sun, Blast: Accelerating High-Performance Data Analytics Applications by Optical Multicast, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2015).
Yiting Xia, Mike Schlansker, T. S. Eugene Ng, Jean Tourrilhes, Enabling Topological Flexibility for Data Centers Using OmniSwitch, 7th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud 2015).
Howard Wang, Yiting Xia, Keren Bergman, T. S. Eugene Ng, Kunwadee Sripanidkulchai, λgroup: Using Optics to Take Group Data Delivery in the Datacenter to the Next Degree, Rice University Technical Report TR14-01, February 2014.
Yiting Xia, T. S. Eugene Ng, A Cross-Layer SDN Control Plane for Optical Multicast-Featured Datacenters,2014 ACM Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking (HotSDN 2014).
Payman Samadi, Howard Wang, David Calhoun, Yiting Xia, Kunwadee Sripanidkulchai, T. S. Eugene Ng, Keren Bergman, An Optical Programmable Network Architecture Supporting Iterative Multicast for Data-intensive Applications, IEEE 3rd Optical Interconnects Conference (OIC 2014).
Yiting Xia, Control Plane Design and Performance Analysis for Optical Multicast-Capable Datacenter Networks, Master’s Thesis, Rice University, April 2014.
Howard Wang, Yiting Xia, Keren Bergman, T. S. Eugene Ng, Sambit Sahu, Kunwadee Sripanidkulchai, Rethinking the Physical Layer of Data Center Networks of the Next Decade: Using Optics to Enable Efficient *-Cast Connectivity, ACM Computer Communication Review (CCR), July 2013.
Howard Wang, Yiting Xia, Kunwadee Sripanidkulchai, Sambit Sahu, T. S. Eugene Ng, Keren Bergman, End-to-End Demonstration of Optical Multicasting Over a Dynamically-Reconfigurable Hybrid Data Center Network Architecture, 2013 IEEE Photonics Society Summer Topical Meeting Series.
Wei Liang, Jingping Bi, Yiting Xia, Chengchen Hu, RPIM: Inferring BGP Routing Policies in ISP Networks, 2011 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM 2011).
Wei Liang, Jingping Bi, Wenzhong Li, Yiting Xia, Towards Inferring Inter-Domain Routing Policies in ISP Networks, in IEICE Transactions on Communications, November 2011.
- Data center network
- Wide area network
- Optical network
- Software-defined network
- Network measurement
- Network management
- Cloud computing
- Data parallel systems
Honours and Awards
- Ken Kennedy-Cray Fellowship
- Pollard Fellowship
Reviewing Activity & Workshop / Conference positions
- Co-chair N2Women Workshop 2022
- TPC member of SOSR'21
- TPC member of ICNP'21
- TPC member of SOSR’19 Demo and Poster session
- Reviewer of IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC’19)
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing 2019
- TPC member of IEEE Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Informatics (EECSI’18)
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Communications 2018
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Services Computing 2018
- TPC member of IEEE IC on Computer Intelligent Systems and Networking (ICCISN’17)
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems 2017
- TPC member of IEEE Global Summit on Computer and Information
- Technology (GSCIT’16)
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing 2016
- Reviewer of IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD’16)
- TPC member of IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing and Cryptography (ICCCC’15)
- TPC member of IEEE Global Summit on Computer and Information Technology (GSCIT’15)
- Reviewer of IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD’15)
- External reviewer of OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking 2013
At Saarland University and MPI:
- Fall 2020: Hot Topics in Data Networks Seminar; Lecturer
At Rice University:
- Spring 2014, Guest Lecturer, COMP429 Introduction to Computer Networks
- Fall 2014, Guest Lecturer, COMP526 Big Data Systems
- Fall 2014, Teaching Assistant, COMP425 Computer Systems Architecture
- Spring 2014, Teaching Assistant, COMP429 Introduction to Computer Networks
- Fall 2013, Teaching Assistant, COMP221 Introduction to Computer Systems
- Spring 2013, Teaching Assistant, COMP429 Introduction to Computer Networks
- Fall 2012, Teaching Assistant, COMP221 Introduction to Computer Systems
September 2020 - present:
Tenure-track faculty, MPI-INF, Saarbrücken, Germany
April 2018 - September 2020:
Research Scientist, Facebook, Menlo Park, USA
April 2014 - February 2018:
Ph.D. in Computer Science, Rice University
August 2011 - April 2014:
M.S. in Computer Science, Rice University
September 2007 - June 2011:
B.S. in Telecommunications Engineering, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications & Queen Mary University of London