Research Group Leaders
Current and former Master/Diplom/Bachelor Students and Supervised Theses
- Zhouyingcheng Liao, Video-based Neural Character Skinning(2022)
- Pramod Rao, VoRF: Volumetric Relightable Faces (2022)
- Navami Kairanda, φ-SfT: Shape-from-Template with a Physics-Based Deformation Model (2022)
- Erik Johnson, Monocular Non-Rigid 4D Reconstruction using a Deformable Implicit Scene Model(2022)
- André Jonas, 3D Tracking of Two Hands from an Event Camera (2021)
- Maximilian Krahn, Joint Graph Matching and Graph Clustering (2021)
- Mohit Mendiratta, Egocentric Videoconferencing (2021)
- Jalees Nehvi, Differentiable Event Stream Simulator for Non-Rigid 3D Tracking (2021)
- Vikramjit Sidhu, Neural Dense Non-Rigid Structure from Motion with Latent Space Constraints (2020).
- Tarun Yenamandra, i3DMM: Deep Implicit Morphable 3D Head Model (2020).
- Hyoseung Kang, Semidefinite Programming in Computer Vision with Lower-Rank Factorization (2019).
- Zeeshan Khan Suri, A Low-Dimensional Deformation Model for Non-Rigid Shape Matching (2019).
- Chitra Singh, Combined 3D Eye and Face Reconstruction using Monocular RGB Images (2019).
- Hossein Hajipour, Weakly-supervised Surface Reconstruction Using Floating Radial Basis Functions (2018).
- Mohammad Shafiei, Live Global Intrinsic Video (2018).
- Marc Habermann, Template-based 3D reconstruction of non-rigid surfaces from 4K RGB video (2017).
- Jianan Ma (co-advisor; main advisor Klaus Fischer (DFKI), Real-time Character Control.
- Max Augustin, Data-Parallel Shading-based Refinement (2016).
- Franziska Mueller: Real-time Hand Tracking (2015).
- Mandana Eghbali, High-Quality facial performance capture with a Kinect camera (2013).
- Daniyar Kurmankhoyayev (MPI Informatics/Saarland Univ.), Monocular pose capture with depth cameras using a Sums-of-Gaussians body model (2013).
- Hamid Sarmadi (KTH Stockholm/MPI Informatics), Part detection for video-based motion capture (2013).
- Elham Afsari Yeganeh (MPI Informatics/Saarland Univ.), Motion alignment of videos captured with a Kinect (2013).
- Nadia Robertini (MPI Informatics/Saarland Univ.), Data-driven modeling with depth cameras (2013).
- Ebad Pirmoradian (MPI Informatics/Saarland Univ.), Monocular performance capture via ToF cameras (2011).
- Martin Simonowski, Hand Shape Recognition using a Time-of-Flight Camera: An Application to Sign Language (2011).
- Alexander Martens, Data-driven Cloth Animation (2011).
- Sebastian Schuon (TU Munich, MPI Informatics and Stanford University), Resolution Enhancement for 3D Time-of-Flight Cameras (2010).
- Derek Chan (Stanford University), Real-time Upsampling of of Depth Camera Images (2009).
- Sergey Levine (Stanford University), Body Language Animation Synthesis from Prosody (2009).
- Jens Kerber, Cross-platform Adaptation of a Free-Viewpoint Viedeo Viewer (2004).
- Edilson de Aguiar, Character Animation from a Motion Capture Database (2003).
Former Ph.D. Students
- Marc Habermann, PhD in VCAI department (graduated 2021 - thesis: Real-time human performance capture and synthesis, now group leader in VCAI.
- Ayush Tewari, PhD in VCAI department (graduated 2021 - thesis: Self-Supervised Reconstruction and Synthesis of Faces, now postdioc at MIT.
- Franziska Mueller, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2020 - thesis: Real-time 3D Hand Reconstruction in Challenging Scenes from a Single Color or Depth Camera), now at Google.
- Dushyant Mehta, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2020 - thesis: Real-time 3D Human Body Pose Estimation from Monocular RGB Input), now at Qualcomm.
- Abhimitra Meka, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2020 - thesis: Live Inverse Rendering), now at Google.
- Hyeongwoo Kim, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2019 - thesis: Learning-based Face Reconstruction and Editing), now at Flawless.AI.
- Nadia Robertini, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2019 - thesis: Model-based Human Performance Capture in Outdoor Scenes), now at Image Technologies Gmbh.
- Pablo Garrido, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2017 - thesis: High-quality face capture, animation and editing from monocular video), postdioc at Technicolor, now Researcher at EPIC Research.
- Srinath Sridhar, Co-supervised with Antti Oulasvirta, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2016 - thesis: Tracking Hands in Action for Gesture-based Computer Input), postdoc at Stanford University, starting as Assistant Professor at Brown University (Fall 2020).
- Helge Rhodin, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2016 - thesis: From motion capture to interactive virtual worlds), postdoc at EPFL, now assistant professor at the Univ. of British Columbia
- Ahmed Elhayek, PhD in GVV group (graduated 2015 - thesis: Marker-less motion capture in general scenes with sparse multi-camera setups), postdoc at DFKI, now asst. professor at University of Prince Mugrin, Saudia Arabia
- Chenglei Wu, PhD student GVV group (graduated 2014 - thesis: Inverse Rendering for Scene Reconstruction in General Environments), postoc at ETH Zurich , now researcher at Facebook Reality Labs Pittsburgh
- Miguel Granados, PhD student in GVV group (graduated 2013 - thesis: Advanced Editing Methods for Image and Video Sequences), postdoc in GVV group 2014, now at Magicleap
- Thomas Helten, PhD student in GVV group (co-advised with Meinard Mueller, graduated 2013 - thesis: Processing and Tracking Human Motions Using Optical, Inertial, and Depth Sensors), now at Pixargus / GoalControl
- Mohammed Shaheen (co-advised with Robert Strzodka, graduated 2013 - thesis: Cache based Optimization of Stencil Computations An Algorithmic Approach), now at IBM
- Andreas Baak (co-advised wth Meinard Mueller, graduated 2012 - thesis: Retrieval-based Approaches for Tracking and Reconstructing Human Motions), now at BMW
- Gernot Ziegler (MPII) - PhD at MPII (graduated 2010 - thesis: GPU Data Structures for Graphics and Vision), now at Nvidia
- Carsten Stoll, PhD at MPII (graduated 2009 - thesis: Template Based Shape Processing,), formerly senior researcher in MPC-VCC, researcher at Weta Digital, co-founder of theCaptury, now at Oculus Research
- Naveed Ahmed (MPII) - PhD at MPII (graduated 2009 - thesis: High-quality Dynamic Reflectance and Surface Reconstruction from Video), now professor at University of Sharjah, UAE
- Edilson de Aguiar (MPII) - PhD at MPII (graduated 2008 - thesis: Animation and Performance Capture Using Digitized Models), formerly Disney Research Pittsburgh / Carnegie Mellon University - Assistant Professor, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Brazil
- Lingjie Liu, Lise Meitner Postdoctoral Fellow in GVV group/VCAI Department (2019-2023), now Asst. Professor at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Mengyu Chu, Lise Meitner Postdoctoral Fellow in GVV group/VCAI Department (2020-2022), now Asst. Professor Peking University.
- Kripasindhu Sarkar, postdoc in VCAI group (2019-2022), now research scientist at Google.
- Florian Bernard, postdoc in GVV group (2017-2020), now Visiting Professor at the Technical University of Munich.
- Weipeng Xu, postdoc in GVV group (2016-2019), now research scientist at Facebook Reality Labs.
- Lan Xu, visiting PhD student from HKUST / Tsinghua University (one year, 2018-2019)
- Yuxiao Zhou, visiting Bachelor student from Tsingua University, Bachelor thesis in GVV group (Feb-June 2019)
- Lingjie Liu, visiting PhD student from University of Hong Kong (2018), now postdoc in GVV group
- Michael Zollhöfer, postdoc in GVV group (2015-2017), now research scientist at Facebook Reality Labs.
- Maxim Maximov, Research Immersion Lab student in GVV group (2016-2017)
- Avishek Chatterjee, postdoc in GVV group (2016-2017), now Assistant Professor at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Dan Casas, postdoc in GVV group (2015-2016), now Asst. Professor at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid
- Christian Richardt, postdoc in GVV group (2014-2016), now lecturer at University of Bath
- Levi Valgaerts, postdoc in GVV group (2011-2015), now at Apple, CH
- Hamid Sarmadi, one year stay (2014) as researcher in GVV group
- Nils Hasler, postdoc in GVV group, now CEO of the Captury
- Michal Richter, research assistant in GVV group, now at the Captury
- Kwang In Kim, postdoc in GVV group (2010-2013), formerly lecturer at Lancaster University, Senior Lecturer at University of Bath, now Professor at UNIST South Korea
- James Tompkin, postdoc in GVV group (2012-2014), now Assistant Professor at Brown University, USA
- Brojeshwar Bhowmick: visiting PhD student from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Kiran Varanasi: postdoc in GVV group, later at Technicolor R&D and DFKI, now professor at HTW Leipzig
- Rajvi Shah: visiting PhD student from Center for Visual Information Technology, IIIT Hyderabad
- Thomas Neumann: visiting PhD student from HTW Dresden / TU Braunschweig
- Gaurav Bharaj - Research Engineer 7/2010-8/2012, now PhD student at Harvard
- Guannan Li - visiting PhD student (7/2011-1/2012) from Tsinghua University
- Yebin Liu (MPII) - postdoc in GVV, now associate professor at Tsinghua University, Beijing
- James Tompkin, visiting PhD student from University College London (2010 / 2011)
- Dina Khattab - visiting PhD student from IIIT Hyderabad, 2010
- Yan Cui - Hiwi 2009 - now at DFKI
- Feng Xu visiting PhD student from Tsinghua University Beijing (2010/2011), now assistant professor at Tsinghua University
- Savil Srivastava (Stanford) - Bachelor student
- Young Min Kim (Stanford)
- Derek Chan, MSc student, Stanford, now at Amazon
- Varun Ganapathi, PhD student, Stanford, now at Google
- Sebastian Schuon (Stanford), MSc student, Stanford, co-founder of Stylight