Update on the second round of exams:
The second round of exams will take place between 19th and 30th October. The conditions will be the same as for the first round. Please refer to the course's website: https://inet-teaching.mpi-inf.mpg.de/dn_21/
Data Networks Lecture Summer Semester 2021
In this lecture, we will discuss the structure of the internet including the basics of internet communication. We will start at the application layer and investigate services like web (HTTP), mail (SMTP, POP, IMAP), domain name systems (DNS), or routing (BGP). After that, we will work through the transport layer (TCP, UDP) down to the network layer (IP). Lastly, we will examine the interactions between the protocols. We further explain the principles of computer networks based on the fundamentals of the area, including network protocol mechanisms, implementation principles, network algorithms, advanced network architectures, network simulations, measurements, protocol specifications, and verification techniques.
This course is worth 9 LP/ECTS points. In compliance with the current COVID-19 measures, we provide structured recordings of two weekly lectures as well as a weekly Q&A session. Students are required to solve weekly assignments in small groups to qualify for the final exam. We, further, provide a weekly tutorial session.
|Lecturer:||Anja Feldmann, Devashish Gosain, Oliver Gasser, Savvas Zannettou|
|Course Credits:||9 LP (ECTS)|
|Tutorials:||online, 2 x per week incl. 1 assignment per week; 1 x per week Q&A session and 1 x per week tutorial session|
|Duration:||April 16th - July 20th|
|Examination:||oral exam (Please note: Passing the assignments is mandatory for exam registration)|
|Registration:||DataNetworks ; Registration for this course is open until Tuesday, 23.03.2021 10:00.|
The course will be offered in english only!
Details regarding the exam can be found on the lecture's website.
An official announcement will be given during the lecture and repeated in the tutorials.
- James F. Kurose and Keith W. Ross. Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach. Addison-Wesley, fourth edition, 2007. (englisch), online version
- James F. Kurose und Keith W. Ross. Computernetze: Ein Top-Down-Ansatz mit Schwerpunkt Internet. Pearson Studium (Prentice Hall), München, Deutschland, 2002. (deutsch)
- Larry L. Peterson and Bruce S. Davie. Computer Networks: A Systems Approach. Morgan Kaufmann, fourth edition, 2007. (english)
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum. Computer Networks. Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, fourth edition, 2003. (english)
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum. Computernetzwerke. Pearson Studium (Prentice Hall), München, Deutschland, dritte revidierte Auflage, 2000. (deutsch)
- W. Richard Stevens. TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols, Addison-Wesley, 1994. (english)
- W. Richard Stevens. TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2: The Implementation, Addison-Wesley, 1995. (english)
- W. Richard Stevens. TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 3: TCP for Transactions, HTTP, NNTP, and the UNIX Domain Protocols, Addison-Wesley, 1996. (english)